Software engineer, career coach, writer, aspiring cook
I am a software engineer at Google working in machine learning. Before that, I spent three years as an applied scientist at Amazon's AWS AI Labs.
Before that still, I studied computer science at UC Berkeley and Princeton, and spent summers interning at Microsoft Research and Databricks and working on my own startup.
I enjoying coaching on all aspects of early career strategy, and can help you answer questions like the following:
- Deciding on a role - Software engineering, product management, data science, quant finance. How do I decide? What are the pros/cons of each job profile, and how do I figure out what I am best suited for? For those already working, is it worth making a switch?
- Landing a job - How do I interview successfully for a role in tech? What should I have on my resume, how/where should I apply, and how should I prep for interviews?
- Pursuing grad school - Should I get a graduate degree? Master's, PhD, MBA? Something else? I'll help break down the pros/cons of pursuing that higher degree, and help you decide if it's right for you.
- Picking a speciality - Should I specialize in something, like AI/ML, security, or crypto? What areas show the most promise and growth? What are the best bets for a long-term career? What are the (dis)advantages of specializing?
- Choosing a company - Should I pick a big company, a small startup, or something in between? What are the tradeoffs involved? Based on your interests, experiences, and aspirations, I'll help you hone in on the right choice for you.
As I've navigated my own career, I've faced all the quandraries above, and asked myself these same questions. I've considered doing a PhD, getting an MBA, moving into product management, and joining a startup, to list just a few crises I've entertained. I've also walked away from some great opportunities, including computer science PhDs at Stanford and MIT and engineering roles at exciting early-stage companies, once I identified that those paths weren't right for me.
I'm a strong believer in good information and honest introspection, and that spectacular alignment with your career is possible and worth striving for. This is why I coach.
I try to keep coaching affordable, and donate all proceeds to Room to Read (https://www.roomtoread.org/). (I have a day job, so I'm not in it for the money.) Please let me know if finances are an issue: we can work something out.
Career Coaching Session
Want to accelerate your career but not sure where to start? Let's hop on Zoom for a 30-min call. We can discuss recruiting for roles in tech, picking a focus area, interviewing successfully, choosing a company, applying to graduate school, or anything else you want to chat about.
Perfecting your resume? Let's hop on Zoom for a 30-min live resume review. I'll give you specific, actionable feedback to help you optimize your resume and land that first-round interview for your dream role.